Monday, June 25, 2012

Pouring the Structural Slab

Scott got home from work, finished up the framing, and we poured the slab. By the end of the night Scott said, "This part of the project exceeded my expectations!" In a nutshell, it was a piece of cake.

We used 13 bags of Quickcrete 5000. Quickcrete 5000 consists of a commercial grade blend of Portland cement, sand and gravel, and is used when you need a little extra strength.

Those 80# bags are heavy!



After filling the frame with 13 bags we needed so little to complete the job, but didn't want to mix a whole bag and have left over cement. What would we do with it? So Scott started scrapping out the concrete stuck to the sides of the mixer! We were able to get 'just enough'. We couldn't have planned it better.



I don't think it took us more than 45 minutes to mix all the concrete, pour it and screed it. Simple. Light work. The easiest task pf the project thus far. Although cleaning up the mixer and tools was a pain in the behind.


Now for the next challenge: How do we get the 800# oven out of the back of  my truck and onto the base? Before going to bed, Scott sent an email to our neighbors. The Subject Line was 'Free Beer': 

"Thought that would get your attention ... I have free beer for anyone that can help me out on Friday night.  I only need about 15 minutes of your time. The slab was poured tonight for the oven and the next step is to get the oven out of the back of my pick-up and on top of the slab. Please let me know if you would be available Friday night and what time: 7PM, 8PM or anytime.  After I hear from everyone that can help, I will confirm the time. Looks like Friday will be hot so bring your kids and wife (or girlfriend if you prefer) for a swim in the pool. Thanks."

No comments:

Post a Comment